In this course, you will study the concepts and principles of leadership and management as applied to the nursing profession. Through case studies and instructor-monitored projects, you will have the opportunity to experience various nursing roles and to practice leadership and management skills.
Coursework is designed for engagement and collaboration. Here is an example of an assignment you will complete as part of NU 540/541 Leadership and Management of Care in Nursing.
- Design a leadership project that would benefit a specific unit or department from writing a new procedure, to completing research for an evidence-based project.
Each week of this course focuses on a different theme. Your group discussions and coursework will align with the week’s theme as well as its primary objectives.
Week 1 – Introduction to Leadership Roles in Nursing
Throughout the introduction week, you’ll explore the spectrum of integrated parts involved in the professional nursing practice. You’ll also discover leadership concepts and behaviors that can positively influence patient care and organizational outcomes. Learn to:
- Develop strength in optimizing one’s personal attributes to effectively lead, manage, and follow.
- Explore strategies for making the leadership opportunity positive for both the leader and the followers.
- Analyze the role of leadership in creating a satisfying working environment for nurses.
Week 2 – Legal & Ethical Issues/Personnel Problems
As the course progresses, you’ll discover the legal and ethical issues that impact personnel management. Learn to:
- Examine strategies for approaching specific personnel problems.
- Apply various legal principles, including negligence and malpractice, privacy, confidentiality, reporting statuses, and doctrines that minimize one’s liability, in leading and management roles in professional nursing.
Week 3 – Decision Making, Solving Problems, and Delegation
During week three, you’ll explore the importance of decision making, solving problems, and delegation while understanding delegation is a critical strategy for nurses to accomplish their work. Learn to:
- Determine problem solving and decision making skills important for professional nursing practice.
- Identify resources available to enhance your ability to be an effective decision maker.
- Examine possible consequences of ineffective problem solving and decision making within institutions.
Week 4 – Power, Politics, Influence, Communication, and Building Teams
Week four marks the midpoint of the course where you will expand your knowledge of communication and partnerships. You’ll also explore the nature, impact, and uses of power within nursing management. Learn to:
- Discuss the importance of teamwork to patient safety and quality.
- Analyze effective communication interaction.
- Identify the concept of power as it relates to leadership and management in nursing.
Week 5 – Strategic Planning, Goal Setting, and Marketing
In this week, you’ll discover the importance of planning strategically, developing clear goals and objectives, implementing them in a disciplined manner, and using marketing concepts in the field of health care. Learn to:
- Prepare a case for argument and evidence for an administrative hearing in front of an Administrative Law Judge.
- Advise a business of changes they need to make to become compliant with the EPA and state environmental laws.
- Determine what oversight role the legislative body has over an administrative agency.
Week 6 – Managing Quality, Risk/Staffing, and Scheduling
Week six addresses total quality management and continuous quality improvement programs and how their integration into an organization’s culture is effective in improving the quality of care. You’ll also focus on increasing safety and maximizing quality outcomes while managing quality and risk. Learn to:
- Apply quality management principles to clinical situations.
- Evaluate the impact of organizational factors that influence nurse and patient outcomes.
- Relate floating, mandatory overtime, and the use of supplemental agency staff to nurse satisfaction and patient care outcomes.
Week 7 – Managing Costs and Budgets
Throughout week seven, you’ll develop an understanding of the elements involved in managing costs and budgets in a health care setting. Learn to:
- Explain several major factors that are escalating health care costs.
- Explain the budgeting process.
- Differentiate costs, charges, and revenue in relation to a specified unit of service, such as a visit, a hospital stay, or a procedure.
Week 8 – Wrap Up and Reflection
During the wrap up week, you’ll enhance your focus of leadership in nursing and health care while discovering ways to apply what you have learned in your future nursing practice.Learn to: Learn to:
- Apply leadership concepts, skills, and decision making to high-quality nursing care, health care team coordination and collaboration, and the oversight and accountability for care delivery.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of organizational structure, strategic planning, mission, vision, philosophy, and values.
- Explore the differences between coordinator, management, and leadership.