Identify your communication style to enhance your effectiveness.
Duration: 8 weeks
Credits: 3 credits
Do you thrive on attention or prefer to let others do the talking? Would you like to improve your ability to persuade others? In HCMGT 715 Communication and Relationship Building, you will identify your style of communication based on your personality and develop skills to help you interact with a diverse audience.
Throughout the course, you’ll discover the importance of empathy when communicating with patients, directness when conversing with colleagues, and clarity when addressing groups. Weekly discussions on timely communication topics like dispute resolution and family dynamics will put your learning into practice as you interact with fellow classmates. As you hone your communication skills, you will expand your influence in the health care arena.
What You’ll Learn in HCMGT 715
In this course, you will examine communication theory to provide a foundation for understanding how information and ideas are passed from person to person, as well as the role of communication and relationship building in organizational change and transformation. You will also explore methods of developing and strengthening relationships and trust in a diverse environment. Topics to be covered include conflict resolution, communication processes, and social support for relationships.
Throughout this course, weekly topics may include but are not limited to:
- Communication Basics
- Therapeutic Communications; Cultural Communications; Confirmation and Empathy
- Trust and Mistrust of the Providers; Skillful Use of Questions; Use of Silence and Pauses
- Self-Disclosure; Placement of Advisement; Reflections and Interpretations; Confrontations, Orders, and Commands
- Patients of Low Literacy; Chronic and/or Life-Threatening Illness; Patients in Crisis
- Negative or Resistive Coping Responses; Communications Within and Across Health Care Provider Groups
- Resolving Disputes; Family Dynamics; Mediation
- Media Use; Behavioral Change; Internet Use; Altering Systems of Care
Course Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of HCMGT 715, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge and application of self-awareness, self-disclosure, and trust.
- Apply goal-setting, ethical, and time/stress management tools and emotional intelligence in varied health care systems.
- Examine cross-cultural miscommunication and barriers to accepting diversity on personal and higher levels.
- Develop effective listening behaviors.
- Understand theories and applications of persuasion and negotiation.
- Distinguish types of conflict and apply conflict management strategies.
- Apply techniques of effective interpersonal communication in health care settings.
- Discuss information technology potential uses and barriers in the health care environment.
- Evaluate development and implementation of health communication programs.
To learn more about Communication and Relationship Building or other courses in the online MSN program from the University of Saint Mary, call 877-307-4915 to speak with an admissions advisor or request more information.