Learn how to identify the factors that contribute to a successful treatment plan.
Duration: 8 weeks
Credits: 4 credits
As a nurse educator, you’ve learned that medical treatment covers a variety of factors and outcomes. In NU 610 Advanced Patho-Pharm for the Nurse Educator, you’ll build on previous knowledge of physiology, pathophysiology, and pharmacology and examine basic principles of select categories of disease states and drugs, including cellular responses.
As you work through the course, you’ll explore how systems of the body react to treatment and examine psychological factors like motivation and cultural differences. Lively discussions with classmates and your instructor will give you an opportunity to gain insights into relevant issues regarding the treatment of disease.
What You’ll Learn in NU 610
In this course, you’ll assess, diagnose, manage, and explore pharmacologic agents for common health problems. You’ll analyze the relationship between pharmacologic agents and physiologic/pathologic responses and explore issues affecting patients’ willingness to adhere to drug regimens. You’ll also identify issues related to prescriptive authority for advanced practice nurses.
Throughout this course, weekly topics may include but are not limited to:
- Introduction to Patho-Pharmacology
- The Nervous System
- The Cardiovascular and Urinary Systems
- The Immune System
- The Respiratory System
- The Gastrointestinal System
- The Endocrine and Reproductive Systems
- The Musculoskeletal and Integumentary Systems
Course Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of NU 610, you will be able to:
- Analyze physiological responses to illness and treatments, including pharmacologic agents.
- Design and implement a therapeutic pharmacologic regimen utilizing advanced practice knowledge of pathophysiology.
- Define drugs in context to how they are used therapeutically in body systems and disease processes.
- Apply complementary therapies, community-oriented and evidence-based practice, and lifespan considerations to pharmacotherapy and disease processes.
- Discuss patient involvement in the treatment of disease related to prescribed regimen (motivation, adherence, compliance, financial issues, cultural differences).
To learn more about Advanced Patho-Pharm for the Nurse Educator or other courses in the online MSN program from the University of Saint Mary, call 877-307-4915 to speak with an admissions advisor or request more information.