In MGT 708 Human Resources (HR) Management, you will broaden your understanding of HR managerial responsibilities, study the importance of HR in organizations, and explore ways to maximize human capital. Focus areas will include job analysis, staffing, employee and labor relations, performance management, compensation, benefits, diversity, and international human resources challenges. A special emphasis is placed on how HR decisions are influenced by several forces, internal and external to the organization. You’ll approach the course content from more of a strategic level with moderate tactical components.
All coursework has a pervasive theme of blending theory and practice into a contemporary view of human resources management as a strategic organizational function. Here are a few examples of assignments you may complete as part of MGT 708 Human Resources Management.
- Write an opinion and fact-based paper on the value added continuum of human resources management at your organization.
- Research and create a 10-minute, narrated presentation, with a peer review, based on one of several provided HR topics.
- Review real-world HR issues outlined in compelling and engaging weekly summaries, and then share your findings and overall assessment in a collaborative discussion board forum.
Each week focuses on a different theme. The material in your textbook chapters, multimedia presentations, article summaries, discussion board postings, mid-term research project, and final project will align with the week’s theme as well as its primary objectives. Weekly themes and course material are subject to change based on professor.
Week 1 – Introduction to Human Resources
During the first week, you will review and discuss the role of HR management in the organization. After completing the required reading and assignment, you’ll be able to:
- Discuss the value of the partnership between human resources and management.
- Explore the challenges facing HR management.
- Discuss the importance of creating and implementing HR strategies to increase performance.
Week 2 – Employee Relations
In week two, you’ll focus on how good employee relations and communications can contribute to the achievement of business goals. Upon completion of the readings and assignments, you’ll be able to:
- Explain the importance of laws and regulations in place to ensure compliance with HR law.
- Examine how to avoid legal liability and facilitate awareness of when to seek legal counsel.
- Apply the major staffing selection methods to maximize hiring and promotion of the best people.
Week 3 – Employer Rights and Rights of Workers
Throughout week three, you’ll examine the origins and scope of employee rights and management rights. After completing the required readings and assignments, you’ll be able to:
- Examine how the HR function balances management's rights and employees' rights.
- Explore the importance of employee policies, programs, and performance appraisal processes.
- Understand how performance appraisal contributes to organizational goals and objectives.
Week 4 – Midterm
During the midpoint week of the course, you’ll conduct more in-depth research into one of the identified key areas of human resource management. Your research should substantially add to the body of knowledge for the entire class, so your fellow students can:
- Integrate collective learnings from the course.
- Simultaneously stretch and challenge their thinking.
- Introduce and explore creative and innovate human resource concepts.
Week 5 – Performance Management
As you progress to week five, you’ll examine key concepts on how HR can effectively manage performance. Upon completion of the readings and assignments, you’ll be able to:
- Explain the HR management policies and practices for downsizing, alternatives to layoffs, and understand the costs and benefits associated with employee separations.
- Discuss the history of unions and why employees join unions, the National Labor Relations (Wagner) Act, and how the National Labor Relations Board regulates labor practices and union elections.
- Identify labor relations strategies and describe how they affect operational business decisions.
Week 6 – Compensation and Benefits
In week six, you’ll review the significance of employee benefits to both employers and employees. After your readings and assignments are complete, you’ll be able to:
- Identify the compensation policies and practices most appropriate for a particular organization.
- Ensure specific compensation design is in compliance within legal frameworks.
- Design benefit packages that support an organization's compensation strategy and other HR policies.
Week 7 – Managing Diversity
Throughout this week, you’ll concentrate on the meaning and importance of diversity in an organization. Upon completion of the week’s activities, you’ll be able to:
- Identify HR management strategies that are appropriate and effective to value employee differences.
- Create organizational-appropriate ways to successfully manage diversity.
- Explain the dynamics and challenges of managing human resources on an international level.
Week 8 – Final Project
During the final week of the course, you’ll use the framework of human resource management as discussed throughout the semester to design a human resource management strategic plan to merge two companies with different structures and cultures, leadership philosophies, and HR policies and practices. The final project will illustrate that you can:
- Synthesize and apply the knowledge gained from the course to a realistic case study exercise.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of the subject matter through integration and direct application.
- Maximize human capital through strategic and effective HR management.
To learn more about MGT 708 Human Resources (HR) Management , or other courses in the online MBA program from the University of Saint Mary, call 877-307-4915 to speak with an admissions advisor or request more information.