Learn the skills to become a compassionate and effective health care leader.
Duration: 8 weeks
Credits: 3 credits
Leadership skills in health care revolve around compassion. A great leader has empathy, good listening skills, and a knack for knowing just what questions to ask. A great leader also knows how to engage fellow colleagues and decision makers. In MGT 750 Leadership you’ll explore the essential traits needed to be an effective leader in health care.
You’ll identify theories of power and motivation and explore them in real life examples. Through weekly discussions, you’ll identify your own leadership skills and put them into practice while interacting with your classmates. You’ll gain insights into how your communication style can influence fellow health care professionals and other organizational stakeholders.
What You’ll Learn in MGT 750
This course focuses on the role of leaders in creating the vision necessary to change organizational structure, motivate people, improve performance, and position the company to successfully meet the challenges of the future.
You’ll explore both effective and poor leadership characteristics with an emphasis on examples you can relate to your own experience. Throughout the course, you’ll analyze leadership through problems, observation, readings, case analysis, and examples from history.
Throughout this course, weekly topics may include but are not limited to:
- Leadership Styles and History
- Individual Leadership and Ethics
- Followership and Motivation
- Teams and Diversity
- Power and Strategy
- Culture and Values
- Leading Change
Course Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of MGT 750, you will be able to:
- Identify, analyze, and recommend skills essential to practicing effective leadership within the workplace.
- Analyze a given situation to identify leadership issues and to recommend strategic changes to meet challenges.
- Identify leaders, leadership styles, and leadership strategies that can increase the effectiveness of the work group.
- Analyze different characteristics of effective leaders and identify situations in which different leadership styles provide solutions to opportunities facing the firm.