Enhance your knowledge of nursing to elevate your practice.
Duration: 8 weeks
Credits: 3 credits
The nursing profession, one of today’s most influential career paths, offers continued growth through education. From health care specialties to policy development, from the operating room to the boardroom, advanced nursing skills are elevating the role of nursing. NU 701 takes you on a historical journey of the nursing profession, identifying the positive impact of education on the nursing profession and exploring the foundations of advanced nursing practice.
Throughout this course, you’ll develop a greater understanding of the theories and strategies that have influenced the nursing profession. Discussions with fellow classmates give you valuable insights into the importance of interdisciplinary teamwork, research, and the application of quality improvement models. You will learn the fundamentals that will add to the foundation for your own career in nursing.
What You’ll Learn in NU 701
This course examines nursing as a profession and its role in a complex, dynamic health care environment. You’ll explore advanced nursing practice, theoretical foundations of nursing, current issues of professional nursing, and relationships between theory, research, and practice. You’ll cover Nursing's Social Policy Statement: The Essence of the Profession, Code of Ethics for Nurses with Interpretative Statements; and Nursing: Scope and Standards of Nursing Practice.
You’ll also discuss the Institute of Medicine’s core competencies for health professions: to provide patient-centered care, work on interdisciplinary teams, employ evidence-based practice, apply quality improvement, and use informatics.
Finally, you’ll explore Sister Simone Roach's 5 C's of caring: commitment, conscience, competence, compassion, and confidence.
Throughout this course, weekly topics may include but are not limited to:
- Concept Exploration and Informatics Basics
- Technology and the Nursing Profession
- Meaningful Use in Health Care
- Information Literacy / Information Competency
- Informatics and the Nursing Paradigm
- Emerging Technologies That Affect Patient Care
- Legal and Ethical Issues
- Consumer Driven Health Care
Course Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of NU 701, you will be able to:
- Analyze nursing history for a sense of professional heritage and identity.
- Differentiate and examine the scope of practice of the advanced practice nurse in nursing administration, nursing education, and the advanced practice registered nurse role.
- Examine and incorporate IOM (Institute of Medicine) and QSEN (Quality and Safety Education for Nursing) core competencies and ethical standards into your nursing practice.
- Integrate nursing theory and research into advanced practice goals.
- Examine ethical, economic, legal, and political factors that influence nursing practice.
- Articulate a personal philosophy on nursing by incorporating the 5 C's of caring and the mission and values of the University of Saint Mary with your nursing practice.
To learn more about Foundations of Advanced Nursing Practice or other courses in the online MSN program from the University of Saint Mary, call 877-307-4915 to speak with an admissions advisor or request more information.