The advertising industry has changed dramatically in the past ten years. In order for a marketing manager or advertising executive to work effectively in this fast-paced industry, they must first understand the broad range of complicated relationships that exist in and out of the agency. MGT 747 Advertising Industry in the 21st Century addresses key issues in advertising including the new client service model, working with contract services, campaign planning, modern media and media planning, developing a creative brief, working with creative staff, and basic advertising production techniques.
Coursework is designed for collaboration, communication, and creative execution. Here are examples of some of the assignments you may complete as part of MGT 747 Advertising Industry in the 21st Century.
- Identify challenges and opportunities of the contemporary advertising industry.
- Create an advertising campaign plan and presentation that demonstrates your functional knowledge of the tactical and strategic implementation of the creative process, from the creative brief through messaging strategy, media buying, budgeting, and creative execution.
- Evaluate and discuss ethical and moral principles and challenges faced by the contemporary advertiser.
Each week of this course focuses on a different theme. Your group discussions and coursework will align with the week’s theme as well as its primary objectives. All weekly course material is proposed and subject to change.
Week 1 – The Contemporary Advertising Industry
During the introduction week, you’ll review the history and current status of advertising as a business entity, an industry, and an institution with rich histories of tradition and culture. Among many things, you’ll learn to:
- Examine advertising as a prominent form of mass media.
- Survey the various services that the contemporary agency can provide to its clients.
Week 2 – Communication Strategy and Creative Planning
In week two, you’ll examine communication strategies utilized by contemporary advertising agencies. Among many things, you’ll learn to:
- Develop a working understanding of the creative process.
- Understand the process, from creative brief development to execution, and post campaign analysis.
- Explore the value of effective goal setting.
- Translate consumer research into effective messaging tactics and strategies.
Week 3 – Media Planning: Options, Opportunities, and Obstacles
Throughout week three, you’ll explore the elements of effective media planning. Among many things, you’ll learn to:
- Understand the process of utilizing marketing research and branding strategies to develop effective media plans.
- Survey and analyze the most prominent media planning measurement techniques.
- Explore the challenges and opportunities of traditional and emerging forms of social media and mass communication.
Week 4 – Advertising by Numbers: The Budgeting Process
During the midpoint week of the course, you’ll conduct advertising by numbers and analyze all the elements of the budgeting process. Among many things, you’ll learn to:
- Combine the elements of media planning, estimating, production costs, and agency/client operational costs into a comprehensive campaign budget.
- Explore purchasing the value of campaign and concept testing.
- Compare the inherent cost savings and purchasing advantages that large media buying agencies provide over an individual agent or representative.
Week 5 – Managing the Contemporary Agency
As you progress to week five, you’ll explore the world of the advertising agency from a managerial perspective. Among many things, you’ll learn to:
- Understand what’s involved in managing an advertising agency.
- Examine the industry specific challenges and opportunities in business development, organizational values, and personnel management as well as day-to-day operations of a full service agency.
Week 6 – Client Development and Relationship Management
In week six, you’ll investigate the unique challenges that are faced by the advertising agency management team. Among many things, you’ll learn to:
- Identify with agency team members, from account executive to the owner/CEO.
- Utilize methods for generating new clients, maintaining current clients, and damage control.
- Explore how successful advertising agencies actively manage their clients for long term, mutually beneficial relationships.
Week 7 – The Ethical and Legal Environment in Advertising
Throughout this week, you’ll examine the legalities and ethics that affect advertising placement, messaging, and imagery. Among many things, you’ll learn to:
- Explore the various regulatory and legal agencies that serve to protect the consumers.
- Review issues that impact the creative and operational tactics employed by contemporary ad agencies.
- Examine the framework for ethical decision making and the guiding principles common to the ad industry.
Week 8 – Tying it All Together: The Advertising Campaign Plan
During the last week, you’ll focus on the comprehensive advertising campaign plan. Among many things, you’ll be able to:
- Understand how the various elements of the plan combine to create an entity that is greater than the sum of its parts.
- Explain the value of having a customized, modular campaign plan that is adaptable to the changing economy.
- Implement the course concepts that had the strongest impact on your understanding of the advertising industry.