MGT 749 Advanced Marketing Strategy and Planning provides you with an in-depth study of the marketing process and teaches you how to plan and strategize when taking a new product or service to market. Focus is on the determination of goals and objectives; the assessment of company resources; the use of a Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats (SWOT) analysis; as well as the 4 Ps in the development of a strategy and marketing plan — both of which will define the approach behind the plan as well as its implementation. You’ll gain an understanding of the necessary elements of planning and strategy for business growth, and how to incorporate them into a marketing plan.
Coursework is designed for strategizing and planning. Here are examples of some of the assignments you may complete as part of MGT 749 Advanced Marketing Strategy and Planning.
- Identify the core competencies, mission statement, and goals of a specified company.
- Develop budgets to support growth variable costs and fixed costs of opportunities for a selected company.
- Create a comprehensive marketing plan for a particular company and product.
Each week of this course focuses on a different theme. Your group discussions and coursework will align with the week’s theme as well as its primary objectives. All weekly course material is proposed and subject to change.
Week 1 – Mission Statements and SWOT Analysis
During the introduction week, you’ll discuss why a mission statement and SWOT analysis are valuable tools for any size company. Among many things, you’ll be able to:
- Explain the value of a mission statement and SWOT analysis.
- Determine the focus of an organization through reviewing the organization's mission statement.
- Examine the functionality, purpose, and relevance of a SWOT analysis for determining a company's growth opportunity.
Week 2 – Net Profit Margin
In week two, you’ll determine the common net profit margin for companies representing a variety of industries. Among many things, you’ll be able to:
- Discern the common net profit margin for a variety of companies.
- Explain the impact that narrow profit margins have on the growth and expansion of companies.
Week 3 – Opportunity Analysis
Throughout week three, you’ll understand why an opportunity analysis is both necessary and valuable for corporate growth. Among many things, you’ll be able to:
- Explain the importance of an opportunity analysis for growth.
- Determine a specific market for a particular product or service.
- Define the value of a brand management plan.
- Illustrate the value of developing, implementing, and adhering to a written communication plan per product per market.
Week 4 – Marketing Channels
During the midpoint week of the course, you’ll examine the importance of selecting specific marketing channels for a product or service. Among many things, you’ll be able to:
- Select proper marketing channels based on specific service or product.
- Analyze marketing channel design for a particular product or service.
Week 5 – Pricing Strategy
As you progress to week five, you’ll consider why it’s necessary for a company to have a pricing strategy. Among many things, you’ll be able to:
- Express the necessity of a corporate pricing strategy.
- Analyze the pricing determination for different industries.
Week 6 – Marketing Plan Review and Strategic Change
In week six, you’ll explore the benefits of performing periodic reviews of a marketing plan. Among many things, you’ll be able to:
- Explain and perform marketing plan reviews.
- Examine organizational analytics to determine when a strategic change is necessary.
- Develop a process for implementing a strategic marketing adjustment.
- Define the process steps associated with implementing a strategic marketing change.
Week 7 – Global Expansion
Throughout this week, you’ll analyze how a company can determine if a global expansion is necessary for growth. Among many things, you’ll be able to:
- Determine if a global expansion is necessary for company growth.
- Develop a marketing plan with respect to individual nations and cultures.
Week 8 – Strategic Marketing Plan and Project Presentation
During the last week, you’ll combine all of what you learned in the course so you can:
- Develop a marketing plan for a particular product or service.
- Orally present a marketing plan to a specific audience.
- Submit a video presentation with peer review.